Friday 14 January 2011

My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent

Something is wrong with Kaylee Cavanaugh ...

She can sense when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just want to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about the dark forces behind Kaylee's power than she does.

And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason and only Kaylee knows who'll be next, she realises that finding a boyfriend is the least of her worries.


I read My Soul to Lose, the prequel to the Soul Screamers series, a while ago and couldn't wait to read this book. But just as I was about to order it, Rachel announced the cover art for the UK version and, as you can see above, it's gorgeous! So I forced myself to wait so I could get the nicer covers. I'm a tad cover obsessed when it comes to my books.

The wait did not disappoint. This is a great first book for the series, although I'm finding it difficult to say anything about the book here without giving away spoilers. Normally I gauge it by what the blurb says and the blurb here does not give a lot away! And I don't like to give spoilers away in a review.

So all I'm going to say is that Kaylee is a great character, as is Nash. They're well written and the story is great. I've read all of Rachel's Shifters series and love her as an author, her writing style is flawless and I basically read this book in one sitting. She writes a great story and manages to make me laugh as well.

I am currently about to download Reaper which is another Soul Screamers novella that the lovely Rachel Vincent is offering for free. Isn't she a lovely person?

So yeah, sorry I couldn't tell you a lot about the story but I don't want to spoiler people so blame the person that wrote the blurb! But a must read for all YA fantasy fans.


Rating
5/5


Book Depository: My Soul To Take
Amazon UK: My Soul to Take

2 comments:

  1. Is the there a difference in the UK version vs. the US version BESIDES the cover? Like did she replace it with british words? Because I found out from a source that the US version is 288 pgs. as the UK version has 304 pgs. ??
    Source: http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=soul+screamers+boxset&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#q=soul+screamers+box+set&hl=en&client=safari&sa=X&rls=en&prmd=ivnsb&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&ei=_KSzTYmwHajn0QH6t53BBA&ved=0CGQQrQQ&biw=1276&bih=706&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=34f1a19940ff6020

    ReplyDelete
  2. My version of My Soul To Take has the story ending on page 345. And the words in it are definitely spelled the American way, so that hasn't been changed.
    Having never seen the US version, I don't how many pages it has so I can't really comment on that.

    ReplyDelete