Saturday 7 May 2011

South of Salem by Janni Nell

My mother thinks my job is crazy. I'm a paranormal investigator; she's Nancy Reagan crossed with Martha Stewart. She's always preferred my sister, Lily, who is following in her perfect footsteps.

But this time Mom needs my special skills. She believes my stepfather is possessed. I admit he's not his usual dapper, charming self, but sleepwalking doesn't sound that weird. Until the sleepwalking spreads through the family and cousin Donna walks right out of her apartment window to her death. Then my sister goes missing and I have to find her and solve the mystery before Lily and her unborn child are harmed.

Normally I would have assistance, but my right hand, a hunky angel I've nicknamed Casper, has business of his own to take care of-business that might take him out of my life forever. The stakes are too high for me to lose, but I'm not sure I can do it alone...


Release Date 30th May 2011

So when I asked to read this, I didn't realise it was a second book. But I now find myself wondering if there was as much of the little things that niggled at me in this one, in the first one too. There seemed to be an awful lot of repetitive phrases in here, there was a lot of "as my dad would say" or something along the same lines. It got to the point that I sighed in aggravation whenever I read that line but when I looked back over it, it was actually only used about 9 times but it was still enough to bug me. I get it, her dad was Australian but really, having to explain every little non-American idiom used (I can only guess that's the reason, although they all made perfect sense to me) makes me ask, why use that many?

Besides that annoyance, it was a good story. Short but sweet with some interesting bits in it. I'm not too sure if I'd continue reading this series to be honest, as I said, it was an interesting story but there was just something that put me off. The story didn't seem to flow all that well and there was a lot of familial tension between Allegra, her sister and their mother. Too much, in my opinion.


Amazon UK: South of Salem

No comments:

Post a Comment