Tuesday 28 June 2011

Cat's Tale: A Fairy Tale Retold by Bettie Sharpe

Once upon a time there was a scheming, lying tart who cared for nothing but her own pleasures and her shoe collection.

Once the peerlessly beautiful Lady Catriona, consort to the king, Cat's fortunes fall far when her aged husband dies. The king's wizard turns her into a cat and tries to drown her in the mill pond. Fortunately Cat is a clever survivor and enlists the help of Julian, the miller's youngest son, in her plan for revenge.

She originally sees Julian as a mere pawn for her plans to break her curse, but as they work together Cat comes to know and care for him. Even if the curse can be broken, can a good-hearted man love a woman who has been as vain and selfish as Cat?


I tried to like this book, I really did, but it was a struggle to get through. I know the whole point of Lady Catriona is that she's a spoiled little bitch queen and she needs a story to mend her wicked ways .... blah blah blah. But she was such a spoiled, moody little madam that I hated her from the get go, not good for the lead character in the story.

I still like the idea of the story. A classic kids story retold with a wee twist, I love that idea and it's the reason I wanted to read this book. So yeah, the story is fantastic ....... BUT the lead character is a major buzzkill and a total off putter for me.

So yeah, if you want to read a nice wee retell of a classic then read this. The good thing is, it's short. So if (like me) you're hating on Catriona, you don't have to put up with her for very long.


Amazon UK: Cat's Tale: A Fairy Tale Retold

No comments:

Post a Comment