Tuesday 14 June 2011

Darkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton

Ari Selkirk has always stood out. With her teal-coloured eyes and freakish silver hair, it's hard not to. And she's always been alone. Her mother died when she was tiny, and she's grown up in foster care, longing for some understanding of who she is and where she came from. When her search for answers uncovers a message from her mother with the single word 'RUN' on it, Ari realises that someone, or something, is getting too close. But it's impossible to protect herself when she doesn't know who or what she's running from.

Returning to her birthplace in the rebuilt city of New Orleans, she discovers she isn't so different after all. But why is every creature she encounters, no matter how deadly or horrifying, afraid of her? The truth is both disturbing and terrifying ...


So I saw this cover and thought "Oooh purple!", picked it up and then thought "Umm, what's up with her face?" Yes, she's is doing that annoying trout-mouth pose which I hate and think anyone that does it looks stupid. Besides that small flaw, I decided to buy the book 'cos it sounded pretty good.

It was great! I loved Ari, and her quest to find out about herself was a great storyline. I've read so many vampire/werewolf/angel/demon/god books lately and I can honestly say this particular theme was a supernatural first for me ....... and I love it!

I'd say this was an older YA, Ari is 17 and there are some mentions of rape in it, so not for the younger crowd. A must read for any YA supernatural readers out there though.

On another note, I would've definitely preferred the US cover. Not often that I say I prefer US over UK covers but this one was no contest.


Book Depository: Darkness Becomes Her
Amazon UK: Darkness Becomes Her

No comments:

Post a Comment