Saturday 22 October 2011

Barbie Dolls

Yes, you read that right. Barbie dolls.

Barbie has had several looks and jobs over the years, but the newest Tokidoki Barbie Doll has created a whole mess of crap. Why? Because she has pink hair and tattoos! Oh my gawd, shock horror! It's an abomination! ......... Hmmm, no it's not.

This article from the Telegraph quotes some Professor as saying, "This is a calculated attempt to play on young girls' natural desire to appear older" and a parent is quoted as saying, "For those who look to Barbie as a role model for strong, empowered girls, the tokidoki doll is overly-sexualised and inappropriate."

Now, let's see this "overly-sexualised" Barbie:
Oh yeah, she's wearing leopard print trousers and an off-the-shoulder top! *gasp* How dare she!?!

Now, I'm sorry but how is this particular Barbie any more sexualised than any other Barbie from previous years.

This is gorgeous but how is this any less sexual looking?

Is Barbie in a bikini not slightly more sexual than tattooed, pink haired Barbie?

How about Barbie in a skin tight catsuit?










I have no problem with any of the above Barbies. I think, if anything, it's Barbie's body shape that should be under fire for being a bad role model. But I believe (or I may be making it up) that her body shape was changed a few years back?

Some parents just need to calm the fuck down and realise that, this particular Barbie, was designed as a collector's Barbie, not a toy. It goes to show the small mindedness of some people when they seem to only have a problem with the pink haired, tattooed rock chick Barbie.

Just my two cents on the subject. PARENTS CHILL!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you a 100%. The outrage against this Barbie is ridiculous. When I heard there was a tattooed Barbie, I was thinking "Kat Von Dee." This is nothing like that at all (not that I'd mind a Kat Von Dee Barbie. Hell, my kid was Kat Von Dee for Halloween two years ago...anyway). The damn thing is $50.00. The average parent is not going to buy this for their 5 year old and seriously, it sure as hell isn't worse than Bratz.

    ReplyDelete