Sunday 2 October 2011

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Winning will make you famous.
Losing means certain death.

In a dark vision of the near future, twelve boys and twelve girls are forced to appear in a live TV show called the Hunger Games. There is only one rule: kill or be killed.

When sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen steps forward to take her sister's place in the games, she sees it as a death sentence. But Katniss has been close to death before. For her, survivial is second nature.


These books have been out a while now and I wasn't too sure about them. A friend who has very similar taste in books as me, thought I'd like the series so when I saw the 1st one cheap when I was shopping, I decided to pick it up. If anything I wanted to read it before I saw anything about the films so I could get my own images in my head.

I really enjoyed the book, Katniss is a good lead. And the setting is brilliant. Not too far in the future (I don't think it says how far exactly) and there's Panem is a new country split into 12 districts, there were 13 but one got destroyed. Every year, 1 boy and 1 girl from each district get chosen for the Hunger Games, a televised fight to the death that everyone in the country must watch.

Katniss volunteers to take her younger sister's place and ends up in the arena, fighting for survival. It's one of those books that you know how it's going to end but you still keep reading, Suzanne Collins manages to hold your attention on every page. I, for one, am looking forward to reading the next one and I can also finally go see what the film has going for it ~ off to YouTube I go!


Book Depository: The Hunger Games
Amazon UK The Hunger Games

1 comment:

  1. The film is scarily badly cast. Lenny Kravitz is cast as Cinna. And Josh Hutcherson as Peeta is a nightmare. I'm not even sure I'll go see it. :(

    ReplyDelete