Saturday 18 May 2013

Demonic Dora by Claire Chilton

She's finally managed to summon her first demon...

Dora Carridine is trying to summon a demon, but she's not very good at Latin and nothing ever works out the way she plans.

Her life is fraught with weekly exorcisms and having to watch her father's fire and brimstone TV show every Sunday. So, when Dora finally succeeds in summoning an incompetent demon lord, she's absolutely delighted when all hell breaks loose.

She thought summoning a sexy demon lord would be the answer to all of her problems, but her problems are only just beginning when her zealot parents try to burn her at the stake, and Dora is left with only one option — to escape and follow her demon straight into Hell.


Release Date 30th June 2013

So Dora is the daughter of a TV evangelist-type person (I don't know the proper words for them) and she likes to try and summon demons in her spare time so you know from the get go that this is not a happy pairing. She gets saved by the demon she (somehow) manages to summon and he takes her to hell where things aren't as great as Dora thought they'd be. For starters, her demon saviour (Kieron) has a crazy mother and a scary father and she has to stay with them and pretend she's dead - all while trying to ignore her sizzling feelings for Kieron and also ignore the constant come-ons from Kieron.

So I figure this book is YA but can't find anything to confirm it, generally I think YA is aimed at 15/16-19 year olds - if that is the age group this book is aiming for it is EXTREMELY immature and if it's aimed a younger age group? It seems TOO mature for that! The 2 main characters are very immature in behaviour but I would say the language was a bit too much for someone of 15 or under - now, I know kids swear but I think there's a difference between knowing it happens and actively encouraging it through literature. So I honestly don't know what age group it's aimed at.

I was hoping to like this, it sounds interesting and I thought I'd like Dora - what with her being a little goth rebel that doesn't like to fit in. I tried to like it - I really did - but it fell flat on its face with a big splat! The writing was subpar and the story was boring and unbelievable (I know it's about demons but some of the precursors to hell are completely crazy). For instance, Dora's father blames her for the demon saying she's possessed and after a failed "exorcism", he somehow manages to convince all the other adults in the town that Dora should be burned at the stake? I mean REALLY?!? Nobody in that whole crowd thought this was a wee bit weird and wrong?

Unfortunately, this isn't a book I would recommend to a friend.


Book Depository: Demonic Dora
Amazon UK: Demonic Dora

No comments:

Post a Comment