Tuesday 7 January 2014

Grave Matters by Jana Oliver

A legendary Demon Trapper, Riley Blackthorne frequently battles with Hell's minions. So when she travels to Scotland to meet up with her hunky boyfriend, and celebrate her eighteenth birthday, she's thrilled at the chance to leave Atlanta and its troubles behind.

Denver Beck, who has been studying for months to become a Grand Master – a rare and highly dangerous job - is just as eager to see his girl. He's anticipating a romantic reunion, keen to take their relationship to the next level.

But Riley's twisted history with Hell has garnered unwelcome interest by people willing to use her for their own purposes. Trouble is brewing in the land of the heather, the kind that will drive a wedge between her and Beck, and prove the ultimate test of their love ... and their survival skills.


Riley goes to Scotland for her 18th birthday to meet up with Beck mid-training. As soon as she gets off the plane, she's in danger and then when she meets up with Beck - she's paranoid. They figure out what's wrong and aim to fix it - along with their relationship.

I was so upset when this series ended - especially as it came as a bit of a surprise to me, I never knew it was the last book until I was reading it! I love Riley and I love Beck. I love the world that Jana Oliver has built here and vaguely post-apocalyptic view on the world. So I was excited to get another wee (too wee) look at the world.

Also love that this is set in my homeland! Don't ask me why but I love reading a story with street names and places that I can actually picture, everything set elsewhere is a total blindside for me. Although as much as I love these books, this series and this author - I always hate reading Scottish characters written by non-Scots authors. The words don't read right for me, all the "ya" and "ta", I can't say that in my head - it sounds wrong. Of course, that may just be me - I am unaware of how other Scots feel on this manner but I feel this way about most Scottish characters I read. Our language is hard to write, especially if you don't speak it - considering the main differences in our language are all to do with pronunciation, it is hard to make it come across purely in the written word.

If you've read the other books in the series, read this. If you haven't read the rest of the books in the series they go Forsaken, Forbidden, Forgiven & Foretold - go buy them and you're welcome in advance.


Amazon UK: Grave Matters

No comments:

Post a Comment